Sunday, October 03, 2004

Can a Poem be "Bad"?

How can we truly define a poem as either "good" or "bad"? Is there an almighty unwritten rule that states how poetry should be written and subsequently how it should be critiqued? Well, seeing as poetry is personal, creative, and emotional (just to name a few characteristics) I think that it is near impossible for me, an ammateur, to make such claims about an author's piece of work. Really, the only way I can critique a poem as either good or bad is by examining it from a personal perspective. What I mean by this, is whether or not the poem moves me; whether I can relate to it, whether it makes sense to me, or whether I enjoy the style/form that the poem takes on, are ways in which I determine a poem's value to me. But, just because I don't like a poem, does that make it inherently bad? Of course not!

Take for example the poem that Rosita posted on her blog site (rositageorgieva.blogspot.com) entitled "Snowdrop". While there have been some people who have commented that this poem is well written, original and perhaps even passionate, and ultimately a good poem, I myself would have to argue the opposite. My argument, however, is strictly based on personal opinion, and is not academically founded. For me, I find that this poem doesn't flow nicely and is, in a sense, very "choppy". Perhaps I'm merely a romantic at heart, but I prefer poems that flow, rhyme and that can almost be read as a song for the heart. I have trouble swallowing deep, dark poetry. So, in my opinion, because of what I look for in a poem, I'm not very fond of "Snowdrop" and would thus critique it negatively. Does this therefore make the poem bad? NO! As can be seen from the comments, there are people who indeed feel moved by this poem and would therefore consider it to be an example of good poetry.

I think that it would be just too simple if there was a written code for the composition of poetry. If every-other line was always supposed to rhyme, if each line was only to have 10 syllables (like Shakespeare's sonnets), and if we could only compose poems about love, romance and positive things, poetry would become like a machine...completely unoriginal, and only serving one purpose--to be the same as every other poem read by society. Therefore, I say, no poem is completely bad--there will always be someone whose life it touches!

Keep on writing, and never get discouraged--perhaps we are all poets at heart!!

7 Comments:

Blogger crazygurltrin said...

You know what Jennifer i completely agree and i think you have summed up exactly how i feel, poetry really can only be analyzed from a personal perspective. If i were to read a poem, and i have, that just does not reach home base, i will think it's boring and worthless to me at least. Thanks for making sense of it!

October 4, 2004 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger chriscouto said...

hey Jen,
totally agree. Each person is different therefore not everyone will like the same poetry, which is what's beautiful about it.

October 7, 2004 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger kristinamccallum said...

hey jen
just wanted to say i compleatly agree. it's impossible for us to truly say that a piece of work is good or bad especially since your pointed out most, if not all of us are amatures at this whole poetry thing. I say if you like it it's good if not it was written for someone else.

October 11, 2004 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger Tova Stone said...

I couldn't agree with you more! i Think we all, more or less, have that same idea of "Bad" ve. "good" poetry. Once again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!:)

October 13, 2004 at 7:19 PM  
Blogger aammoury said...

Along with the rest of you, I would also like to agree with the argument that if every poet wrote according to a certain code or under standard directions poetry would be very uniform, very dry and repetitive. However, it appears as though professor Kuin expects us to know all that dry stuff and perhaps even write according to the poetic rules. I hope not, I don't know if I'd be too keen on posting my work on line. All in all I would like to express my gratitude that we all share the same views on poetry and how it is an individual and unique expression that should be free from limitations.

October 13, 2004 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger aammoury said...

Along with the rest of you, I would also like to agree with the argument that if every poet wrote according to a certain code or under standard directions poetry would be very uniform, very dry and repetitive. However, it appears as though professor Kuin expects us to know all that dry stuff and perhaps even write according to the poetic rules. I hope not, I don't know if I'd be too keen on posting my work on line. All in all I would like to express my gratitude that we all share the same views on poetry and how it is an individual and unique expression that should be free from limitations.

October 13, 2004 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger gunesvara said...

Interesting blog about your passion poems by sherry, keep up the good work passion poems by sherry http://www.beautifully-wicked-poetry.com

September 25, 2006 at 4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home