Sunday, November 28, 2004

"The Everyday"

Hi there!

Well, just to warn you, this is pretty much my first attempt at poetry (isn't that sad??). Rosita had encouraged us in tutorial to try and write a poem about the every day, so I thought that I'd give it a try. While the topic of my poem might at first seem a little morbid, I believe that it is something that we should all long for (you'll see what I mean at the end of the poem). So here goes nothing.....


I dread the day I will not see you here on earth;
The thought to me is like the dark clouds of a storm--
Looming in the distance,
A dark testiment to their inevitability.

Death encroaches into our lives with little warning,
Leaving us to feel drenched with sorrow,
For we do not understand the beauty that it can bring.

There is solice in Him who guides us
to the Light of a rainbow after the Tempest.
In Him, there is hope of peace;
A covenant of eternity.

So through Him, I do not fear your death
Like the unkown outcomes of a storm,
But yearn for when we will be together
For eternity in Paradise.

4 Comments:

Blogger kristinamccallum said...

Hey,
I just wanted to say that for your first attempt at poerty that was great. I've been making attempts at poetry for the longest time now and nothing I write comes out like that. I really enjoyed the way that you made death into something not to be afraid of, instead you made it into something beautiful and peaceful; and don't worry this is not a morbid topic like roger said today in lecture most poets talk about death so you fit right in.

November 29, 2004 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Tova Stone said...

Hey!
Th reason why I enjoyed your poem so much was because I believe that everything in life is some form of beauty in someone's eyes, even death. Death is something that no body should fear because it is inevitable. Unlike living, there is no hiding from death. It is the great equalizer of all hierarchical structures. Your poem really embodied that fact. Most people fear the unknown, which is why death is always seen as something to be afraid of but as you say in the last line "For eternity in paradise". Do not fear, just accept. Great first attempt. I thoroughly enjoyed it!:)

December 5, 2004 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger Tova Stone said...

Hey!
Th reason why I enjoyed your poem so much was because I believe that everything in life is some form of beauty in someone's eyes, even death. Death is something that no body should fear because it is inevitable. Unlike living, there is no hiding from death. It is the great equalizer of all hierarchical structures. Your poem really embodied that fact. Most people fear the unknown, which is why death is always seen as something to be afraid of but as you say in the last line "For eternity in paradise". Do not fear, just accept. Great first attempt. I thoroughly enjoyed it!:)

December 5, 2004 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger julio said...

Hey I enjoyed your poem. A great example of optimism. Its nice how you start the poem in a gloomy negative tone. You great a great environment with the structure of your poem. I enjoyed the fact that you had “looming in the distance” in its own line. It kinda gives that solitude distant feeling, which goes hand in hand with the words. Great poem!

December 9, 2004 at 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home