Sunday, January 02, 2005

Reflections on "The Iliad"

As I have been reading The Iliad, I must admit, I'm really beginning to enjoy it! What I find most fascinating about this epic is that as you are reading along, you almost forget that you are reading a poem. You don't become so conserned with pausing at the end of each line (as we unfortunately have a tendency to do with most other forms of poems), but rather, as you read through this poem, you can read it more like a story. When I read poetry, I find that I'm so caught up in understanding the format of the poem and trying to read it metrically, that I lose all understanding of the content of the poem. Contrastingly, however, in The Iliad, I tend to look at the line separation as mere formality. Perhaps this is because of the fact that this poem has been translated and has lost much of its former 'structure', but nonetheless, I tend to ignore the way the lines are structured. Similarly, I enjoy how there isn't any rhyming scheme to this poem. In all actuality, I sometimes find rhyming schemes in poetry to sound rather forced and irritating. To me, blank verse is a more personal and original way to write because it reflects the author's personality more than their ability to rhyme words together. I have quite enjoyed the lack of rhyming in this poem because I don't feel distracted from the storyline. All in all, I'm happy that we've been assigned this book to read! It has really introduced me to a form of poetry that I can really appreciate.

2 Comments:

Blogger chriscouto said...

I agree with you on free verse making the Iliad a more enjoyable read. I think that in short poems a good rhyme scheme can be appreciated howewever in longer poetry a story like poem or free verse poem adds to the original feel. Reading the Iliad becomes really enjoyable when you get used to the language and style of the writing. This different style combined with the creative Greek culture provides for an interesting read. It also becomes enjoyable as we learn more about the way of life in that time as well as the customs and traditions of an ancient empire. We are currently in a society that is so different than what is being read that imagineing what is happening in the poem becomes interesting.

January 7, 2005 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Donna_f said...

I agree with you about how rhyming can be irritating. I find most poems in the end do not have the same message the poet intended because they had to make it ryhme. I like the Iliad as well because it has a storyline with memorable characters and plot.

January 20, 2005 at 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home