Sunday, February 06, 2005

Romanticism

To some of us, this past lecture has almost seemed like a refreshing break. "Now this is what poetry is supposed to be like," I found myself saying. 'I wandered lonely as a cloud,' had never been so refreshing to my ears until now. I have really enjoyed our discussion of the romantics ( I only wish we had studied the Highwayman, but alas, we can't do everything), I was enthralled by the history behind the evolutionary change in poetry. I had never really considered it until Prof. Kuin brought it up, that romanticism was not only about getting back to nature in the sense of 'the great outdoors,' but also about getting back to the innocent nature of childhood. I particularly liked Joanna Baillie's poem "A Mother to her Waking Infant," (p. 696-697). I find that this poem really tries to capture the innocence of infancy. This poem details the detachment that a child has from the world. They do not know love; they do not know sensitivity; they do not know sadness. I think that in this poem, the narrator is looking longingly on her child, noting how their innocence will eventually fade away into a life of taking care of its mother and having a life of their won. If you've ever held a newborn baby in your arms, I'm sure you know the feeling you get when you look at this little person. They have no concept of life, love, you or me. They are the most natural form of life because it is the stage in life that is untainted by worldly things, and are the epitome of what the romantics longed for.

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

I don't think that I am quite as big of a fan of the Romantica as you are, but I did find some of the poetry interesting. I also read the poem Joanna Baillie and found it kind of fascinating. I liked the way she talked about the child and you do get that sense of holding a new born your self.

February 10, 2005 at 2:36 PM  
Blogger Lora B said...

I enjoy the whole idea of romanticism, yet I cannot truly apprecitate all that goes with it. The longing, the undying desire, you know the whole nine yards. Yet I think you truly captured the poem in your description of the child and how thier purity and innocence remains untainted. You said it best "Which is everything the romantics long for".

February 20, 2005 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger crazygurltrin said...

The Romantic era has definitly caught my ear this year. I was a virgin to its contribution to poetry, muic and art until this year and after reading the works of wordsworth, listening to Wagner the era has come to represent so much more and show the deepest roots of nature.

March 22, 2005 at 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home